Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guinea Pig Impaction

Thanks

Guinea Pig Impaction

Here I am gong to attempt to gross you all out. That's your warning.

This is what I do at work.

Yesterday someone brings us two adult guinea pigs. Drops them off at the store, they don't want them anymore.

About 5 minutes after being introduced to the other adult guinea pigs in the petter, I heard all kinds of squealing and thumping, the kind that means trouble in Cavy Land. So I go to investigate.

They are all males in this box.. or they SHOULD be (with the boxes open, people tend to pick females up and drop them in the male side, either on purpose or because they aren't paying attention). But two of the males are chattering with their lower jaws quivering, which is usually only something they do when females in estrus are present.

So I start to pick them all up and push on their bellies, which is how you get their little boy bits to pop out and ensure that what you have is, indeed, a male. Something pops out, male. Nothing, female.

I pick up the final guinea pig, one of the new comers, and I push on the little spot.. and instead of just getting what I normally get, I get that and a waltnut-sized mound of poo.

Guinea pig anatomy is a little strange. (Even aside from the fact that it looks shockingly like human anatomy in miniature if you protrude it right.) Both males and females have what look like labial lips normally. They aren't vulvas, really. But their anus is tucked up inside this little pocket.

Apparently this guy had been having trouble with his bowels being softer than normal, and instead of pooping nice, hard little pellets, he had been pooping softer ones that weren't being fully expelled from this little pocket, called the perineal sac. Instead, they just got impacted in there.

It was really bad.

So, while one of my coworker's wrapped the ill-fated little cavy up in a towel and held him, and the other one of my coworkers fully inverted his pernieal sac for me, I had to flush the area out with warm water, peroxide and mineral oil and then set about with a pair of tweezers and get all that mess out. It took about twenty minutes.

Through all this, that poor little animal held perfectly still for us. He didn't scream, he didn't squeal and he didn't so much as twitch, despite the fact that having his junk inverted like that had to be uncomfortable, and the area was probably already very tender because the bacteria in all that mess had just started to create sores on his skin.

I felt so badly for the little guy. And even after we were all done, and I'd go to check on him, I could pick him up with no problem. He held no grudges.

Animals are amazing.

Moral of the story: If you have a male guinea pig, as distateful as it might be, please check his perineal sac to make sure he isn't getting an impaction. His anus was completely blocked when we got to him, and if it had stayed that way much longer he probably would have died.

Thanks

Re: Guinea Pig Impaction

When I first saw the title I thought something else...

Oh come on, like you haven't heard those urban legends/jokes about a guy with a gerbil up his ass!
    Everyone is responsible for their own happiness.

Need a translation to/from Spanish?
    www.rushingpages.com

Thanks

That is so nasty, I'm glad you were able to help him!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Girl View Post
    When I first saw the title I thought something else...

Oh come on, like you haven't heard those urban legends/jokes about a guy with a gerbil up his ass!
    I thought the same thing!

Thanks

Awwww... poor little guy!!! Glad he doesn't hold a grudge and lucky his owners got rid of him so you could save him!

Sometimes I feel just like Sharpay from High School Musical....
    "Don't you see that bigger is better and better is bigger. A little bit is never enough!!! No! No! No! I want it all!"

Some people choose to remain in the past with life, love and happiness; never really exploring the opportunity of a new day. To those I say: Build a bridge, Get over it, and Move on. A new life awaits you just around the bend....

Thanks

That's funny.. On Friday when I was working, I went to check all my small animals and then I hunted up the owner of the store to tell him, "WE NEED GERBILS." We haven't had gerbils in forever.

He gives me this significant look and says, "Did you check [insert shift manager's name here]'s @$$?"

Yes, this is how we work over there. It's all in good fun, we (mostly) love each other.

Thanks

What I find touching is that the little fella seemed to know you were helping him. Poor little thing...

www.rushingpages.com

football practice, work, field hockey practice, pool, pick one
    Thanks

Why would someone drop off animals at a pet store? Why didn't they drop them off at the SPCA? That's like dropping your used clothes off at Macy's.

America is an idea, but it's an idea that brings with it some baggage, like power brings responsibility. It's an idea that brings with it equality, but equality even though it's the highest calling, is the hardest to reach. The idea that anything is possible, that's one of the reasons why I'm a fan of America. - Bono, Commencement University of Pennsylvania May 17, 2004

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pythoness View Post
    That's funny.. On Friday when I was working, I went to check all my small animals and then I hunted up the owner of the store to tell him, "WE NEED GERBILS." We haven't had gerbils in forever.

He gives me this significant look and says, "Did you check [insert shift manager's name here]'s @$$?"

Yes, this is how we work over there. It's all in good fun, we (mostly) love each other.
    I went from feeling bad for the little guy, to laughing out loud at the owner's remark, to remembering the sac pictures and getting that ewwwww feeling, to feeling bad for him again. Py... you have the wildest stories
    Pants! Because no one wants to see your junk but airport security...

Thanks

Moral of the story: If you have a male guinea pig, as distateful as it might be, please check his perineal sac to make sure he isn't getting an impaction. His anus was completely blocked when we got to him, and if it had stayed that way much longer he probably would have died.
    ******mental note********

NEVER buy male guinea pig!!!!!!!!

America is an idea, but it's an idea that brings with it some baggage, like power brings responsibility. It's an idea that brings with it equality, but equality even though it's the highest calling, is the hardest to reach. The idea that anything is possible, that's one of the reasons why I'm a fan of America. - Bono, Commencement University of Pennsylvania May 17, 2004

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeCurlyGirl View Post
    ******mental note********

NEVER buy male guinea pig!!!!!!!!
    Amen
    Pants! Because no one wants to see your junk but airport security...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeCurlyGirl View Post
    Why would someone drop off animals at a pet store? Why didn't they drop them off at the SPCA? That's like dropping your used clothes off at Macy's.
    You'd be surprised how many people do that Curly.

Rabbits, hamsters, ferrets, guinea pigs, snakes, birds. You name it. People have brought it back to us.

And you know, I don't even mind that much so long as someone calls and asks first. We almost always have the room, and even though I do not agree with the "disposable pet" mentality, giving them back to us, a lot of the time, is better than taking them to the SPCA or leaving them in the current situation.

We never put the animals down like the SPCA. If we have as many as we need, we just don't have the breeder (in the case of the guinea pigs and rabbits) bring any more that week until they've sold. They always sell. They might be around awhile, but they always go to new homes.

I've known some people to come in and spend 500 dollars on two ferrets, a big cage for them, and all the supplies, and those same two ferrets are being given to us, FREE 6 months later - with the cage and all the supplies.

You'd be amazed. Really. You would.

And 90% of the time, when someone does that, there is labor involved in getting them ready for new homes. They come in with toenails so long you wonder how they walk, disgustingly dirty ear canals, matted fur. It's a shame, it really is.

Taking back the animals and giving them a second chance, though, is really one of the redeeming features of working there. If they didn't do that, I wouldn't feel nearly as good about my job as I do, knowing what the fate of a lot of those animals is going to be (unwanted, unloved, neglected, euthanized).

I don't understand why ANYONE gets rid of their pets - it's unfathomable to me. I don't care what the circumstances are - short of maiming, mauling or killing someone, things can be worked out and worked around, compromises can be made.

Thanks

Hmm, I would have taken the easy route...guinea pig is acting up...guinea pig gets fed to the python. Other guinea pigs learn lesson.

Let us dig our gardens and not be elsewhere:
    Let us take long walks in the open air...
    Let us bathe in the rivers and lakes...
    Let us indulge in games...
    Let us be more simple: simple and true in our minds above all. Let us be ourselves.

Thanks

so can you train my cat to not attack anything that walks?

Thanks

Py....that makes sense and you're right, I can see where that would be very rewarding.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    That might be a case for some prozac, Chase. lol.

I'm reading a book right now that's very interesting - Animals In Translation.

It was written by an autistic lady. I'm pretty sure she has a Ph.D. but I could be wrong.

Anyway. She makes a statement in the book that's stuck with me because, although I never put it so succinctly, it's true much of the time.

That is, if an animal is behaving abnormally, check the environment, because SOMETHING in the environment is causing it. It may not be readily apparent to us, because our brains don't function the same way, but if you really open your mind and think from the cat's perspective (not what you THINK the cat's perspective is, but what it really could be), it will eventually present itself to you.

Abnormal behavior does sometimes have physiological roots though. It's just more rare than abnormal behavior caused by something in the environment, or physical illness.

Thanks

my cat's healthy as a horse, its just literally psychotic........

I will try to see my house threw her eyes, its probably the kids...lol....they know not to go near her or feel the wrath...

You can find me at the craps table, Broke, Drunk, and with a cigarette stuck to my bottom lip......
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post

Chase... I have found anti freeze works well to keep the cat from attacking.... Just a quarter cup over its dry cat food...

That might be a case for some prozac, Chase. lol.

I'm reading a book right now that's very interesting - Animals In Translation.

It was written by an autistic lady....

I read that book....
    I remember one of the quotes too...
    "I buy my kitties at Petsmart....I buy my kitties at petsmart...."
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4640105985_93fd4663c1_o.gif

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DEwalkingman View Post
    Hmm, I would have taken the easy route...guinea pig is acting up...guinea pig gets fed to the python. Other guinea pigs learn lesson.
    If only all animals learned lessons so easily... like Drama Puppy* the other night I've never seen such a persistent poor-little-me act.

*Py and Wendy know which one that is.

www.rushingpages.com

You can find me at the craps table, Broke, Drunk, and with a cigarette stuck to my bottom lip......
    Thanks

*Py and Wendy know which one that is.

not the Ewok.......