Thread: The truth about Ice Ages and the anatomy of a zombie lie

Lightbulb The truth about Ice Ages and the anatomy of a zombie lie

'Here is a wonderfully clear, concise piece that puts to rest the "zombie lie" that in the 1970s climate science was predicting global cooling--a lie that Big Carbon and its fellow travellers tell in an effort to de-legitimize climate science's warnings about climate change. Any time you hear that lie, jump on it with this history, these facts.'
    You can't spend long in forums full of ditto-heads without coming across a medley of zombie lies on climate change. One of the more underhanded claims you'll see put forth by people who absolutely know better is that climate scientists were predicting another ice age back in the '60s and '70s, but now they're claiming we're in a warming trend, so they obviously have no idea what they're talking about! They can purportedly even back it up with peer-reviewed material from the time.

This "argument" for lack of a better word is utter nonsense, but it's also quite clever in its construction. It depends on youthful memories and conflating two distinct items in climate research that went on back then. One concerned the analysis of Pleistocene ice ages; the other was the effect of sulfate aerosols vs greenhouses gases emitted by human activity.
    What actually happened in the '60s and '70s with respect to ice ages and aerosols is a lot cooler—you see what I did there?—than anything you'll see on a denier site.
    [The truth about ice ages and the anatomy of a zombie lie http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...f-a-zombie-lie via @dailykos ]

Re: The truth about Ice Ages and the anatomy of a zombie lie

Quote Originally Posted by QuotetheRaiser View Post
    'Here is a wonderfully clear, concise piece that puts to rest the "zombie lie" that in the 1970s climate science was predicting global cooling--a lie that Big Carbon and its fellow travellers tell in an effort to de-legitimize climate science's warnings about climate change. Any time you hear that lie, jump on it with this history, these facts.' [The truth about ice ages and the anatomy of a zombie lie http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...f-a-zombie-lie via @dailykos ]
    The daily kos. Now there is an unbiased reliable source of information.

"Here's the important thing: The study of Milankovitch Cycles that produced the scientific papers at the time and thus drove those popular magazine articles did not take man-made greenhouse gases into account."

I would think there would be more carbon and polution in the air during this period?

Quote Originally Posted by LCR in DE View Post
    The daily kos. Now there is an unbiased reliable source of information.
    The Daily Kos is a crowd-sourced and peer-reviewed democratic news publication . Do you have something against popular mass democracy ?

Quote Originally Posted by max1 View Post
    "Here's the important thing: The study of Milankovitch Cycles that produced the scientific papers at the time and thus drove those popular magazine articles did not take man-made greenhouse gases into account."

I would think there would be more carbon and polution in the air during this period?

Unfortunately, carbon and pollution levels were not lower during this period because of the carbon-pollution producing industries' economic growth and development rapidly increased and undermined EPA Clean Air and Water regulations to control it.

The Daily Kos is a crowd-sourced and peer-reviewed democratic news publication . Do you have something against popular mass democracy ?
    Democracy breeds mobs. A Democratic Republic insures against mob rule.

theres that "peer based" review again

lol

talk about "mob rule"

Quote Originally Posted by max1 View Post
    theres that "peer based" review again

lol

talk about "mob rule"
    So, you also don't like mass democracy . Not a surprise.

I guess this climate was in a period of change some 111 years ago in Delaware.

1905 One of the coldest winters ever, there were 44 days below freezing and 44.7 inches of snow.

How do you explain all this to the people who just know for a fact that the earth is only 6,000 years old? HA!
    There is also a huge difference between seasonal weather and true climate change.Look what has been learned about El Nino and La Nina for the US. Learning is still happening and isn't perfect. Some of the world's volcanic activity of the past is thought to have affected weather too.
    Some on this forum may be too young to remember the big deal about eliminating fluorocarbon propellents and coolents that were thought, in large enough quanities, to harm the earth's ozone layer.That in turn could affect radiation reaching earth and to some extent, weather.I find it all very interesting and nothing to argue"Truth"about.

1918 With excessive heat andhumidity in neighboring cities, Delaware temperatures soared over 100 degreesF.

I don't think their were that many automobiles and coal fired power plants in the world in 1918. I wonder how this could have happened?

Easy... Wood burning was big then ,as was kerosene. Great Britain also burned peat. Lots of trains out there too. Also weather is weathe One hot time does not mean climate change. It takes measurements over a period of time to predict actual climate change.One step forward and two steps back. Note we aren't having true hurricanes?Very dangerous.Lots of population that would be clueless, have moved into hurricane prone areasup and down the east coast. I'm afraid they will eventually get a big one and get into real trouble.
    How come subsistence villages in Alaska are having to move inland, or are making ready to, and their deep under- the- permafrost- refrigeration is melting. I saw it myself.The ice packs the polar bears depend on have changed as the frozen periods are shorter now and they are having a hard time getting enough food. Some are coming into towns, more than ever, desperate for food.
    There are even changes in fresh and salt water % mixing in the oceans right now, and also underground. Fish are changing their migratory patterns and the critters that eat them are having to change their feeding patterns and migratory routes.The polar ice caps are melting fast and the glaciers are receding faster than ever. Haven't you read about the things that are now being uncovered? Fascinating! Even the Russians are worried.Things long buried, on purpose, in Siberian deep ice are being uncovered, including viruses "germs" and bacteria are being found. Let's hope they aren't still strongly viable. It is even known now that winds from Africa, et al carry diseases too. Much research is going on into that also. Read.... There is so much to learn. Right Joe?

Actually it appears as though the earth is in a cycle that is returning to where it was some 18 million years ago when Delaware was tropical and most of Kent and all of Sussex were underwater. At the time it was also much warmer in the northern climes or those artifacts that are being uncovered along with the viruses would have never existed. I wonder what the dinosaurs were burning for fuel back then? Hmmmmmm.....

This Day in Delaware History: September 2

1775 Caesar Rodney wrote from New Castle..."They had one of the worst storms he ever knew last night...Some persons were obliged to stay upstairs till breakfast time; the tide heavily covered the lower portions..."

Sounds like a hurricane struck Delaware 241 years ago. Must have been all of those pesky coal fired power plants in Ohio and West Virginia causing this climate change.

That is hardly an example of climate change.There have always been and always will be awful storms.True climate change is a whole other thing. There is plenty of science based, non political, to read if one just looks for it.

The proponents of manmade climate change actually claim that these violent storms nowadays are a result of man's interference with nature and greenhouse gasses. I just like to point out that these storms have always occurred and have nothing to do with a changing climate.

Man's inferference does make a difference, as it has in many areas throughout the ages. It is most certainly not the only thing effecting climate, however. Let's just not hurry it along though.
    People have caused the extinction of animals both directly and indirectly. DDT almost wiped out a great many birds, including eagles. Water pollution is another that we caught just in time.Are you old enough to remember when the Columbia River actually caught fire?
    It all makes for great discussion from extrememsts on both ends to moderates like me in the middle.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am old enough to remember, but it was the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland wasn't it? I agree that mankind has caused certain species of animals to become extinct, but it has nothing to do with climate change. Same for water pollution and air pollution. I am not a radical denier, I am just a radical anti-Progressive Liberal, LOL.

Yes,it was.I got the 'C' right,but my old head got the rest wrong.HA! Thanks.