Thread: Support Mounts Against Indian River Health Textbook Censorship

Talking Support Mounts Against Indian River Health Textbook Censorship

Bobby Scott and Bob Russell song title, "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"
    Residents and students continue to support the inclusion of materials defining the terms lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered in the Indian River School District’s health curriculum.

The Monday Board of Education meeting was not as well attended as the October meeting, which drew about 100 protestors. However, this most recent meeting continued to be dominated by people speaking against board member Shaun Fink, who wants the material to be removed.
    The most emotional speaker was Milton resident the Rev. Michael Smith, minister for the Unitarian Universalists of Southern Delaware.

“Removing language because it refers to sexuality once again casts too many back into the shadows of misunderstanding and prejudice and bigotry. It strips many of their inherent worth and dignity. It invites bullying,” Smith said. “I don’t get it. I don’t get how any of you can sit there and look at children who are victims of such bullying, knowing that this is what’s going to happen to them unless people can talk and learn about each other.”
    Support mounts against Indian River health textbook censorship http://delonline.us/1rn6o5A via @delawareonline Let us praise the freedom to be you and me.

Re: Support Mounts Against Indian River Health Textbook Censorship

The most emotional speaker was Milton resident the Rev. Michael Smith, minister for the Unitarian Universalists of Southern Delaware
    The most emotional speaker was not even from Indian River School District.

Re: Support Mounts Against Indian River Health Textbook Censorship

Quote Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
    The most emotional speaker was Milton resident the Rev. Michael Smith, minister for the Unitarian Universalists of Southern Delaware
    The most emotional speaker was not even from Indian River School District.
    The point being made is that discrimination in all its forms whether based on race , sex, gender, age , is inappropriate when it does harm to some individuals or groups over others. Anyone has a right to speak against it.