Thread: Zimmerman's web site raises more than $200,000

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 898 Posts

Zimmerman's web site raises more than $200,000

• ORLANDO, Florida (AP) – The attorney for the shooter accused of killing an unarmed black teen says a website created to raise money for his legal defense has raised more than $200,000.

Mark O'Mara said on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 Thursday night that he learned about the money on Wednesday and will inform a judge at a Friday hearing.
    George Zimmerman, who has been charged with second-degree murder in the Feb. 26 shooting ofTrayvon Martin, was released from jail this week after paying 10 percent of $150,000 bail.
    O'Mara says the bail amount may have been higher if the judge knew Zimmerman had raised $200,000.
    The website used to raise the money has since been shut down, but O'Mara said he'll likely start a new defense fund for Zimmerman.
    O'Mara did not immediately return a Thursday evening phone message by The Associated Press.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...terstitialskip

Thanks
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Zimmerman's web site raises more than $200,000

He is going to need it to keep the racists from throwing him in jail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by max1 View Post
    He is going to need it to keep the racists from throwing him in jail.
    If he raised that much there apparently is a really big controversy on this! I don't see it as a racial thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
    If he raised that much there apparently is a really big controversy on this! I don't see it as a racial thing.
    I think the money has been sent for his defense, hes just some smuck that MAY have made a bad decision. Travon Martins parents are backed by big money i'm sure. I wonder how much Trayvons Parents have made off his death?

Thanks

I think the money has been sent for his defense, hes just some smuck that MAY have made a bad decision. Travon Martins parents are backed by big money i'm sure. I wonder how much Trayvons Parents have made off his death?
    I agree with the schmuck that made a bad decision part of your post. But, the part wondering how much money Travons parents made is pretty cold Max.

Thanks

To answer your question, Max, we have to wade through the entire plethora of BS that’s currently metastasizing all over the Internet. And, since I have nothing better to do until I get a final medical release, I’ve independently verified some of it through phone calls and I’m still working on independent verification of some other reports that I feel are legitimate.

First, his family, including his parents, started the Justice for Trayvon Martin Foundation. The NAACP, Nation of Islam, and Rainbow Push Foundation sponsored a rally at the West Los Angeles Church in Christ. Trayvon’s family, along with Al Sharpton and several other civil rights leaders, attended.

No one has mentioned a specific amount of money raised. However, the sponsors gave what they did collect to the family with the express stipulation that they were to use it to achieve the goals of the foundation and that none of it was to be used for the family’s personal expenses, including travel.

The Justice for Trayvon Martin Foundation is under the collection auspices of the Miami Foundation, which is a legitimate and highly regarded foundation that sponsors many worthwhile causes. They report collections of about $27,000 to date, which is supposed to include the funds raised at the Los Angeles rally.

However, I know as a fact that the Nation of Islam donated $5,000. And, coincidentally, another phone source told me that donations currently tally a little over $32,000. Some simple addition puts the $32,000 figure within the range of legitimacy.

I’m very familiar with the Parks & Crump Law Firm. They’re representing the Martin family on a pro bono basis. They do a ton of pro bono representation. However, they’ll also represent the Martin family on a contingency fee basis relative to any future civil law suits against Zimmerman, et al. While I have no idea what that fee arrangement will be, their standard minimum is 35% plus expenses.

I don’t think the Martin family started this for money. They’ve lost a teenaged son and they’ve taken about as severe an emotional gut-kick as they come. I’d feel the same way had it been my son. Nor would I blame them if they sued all parties concerned, jointly and severally, should they have the grounds—and understand, it isn’t at all clear at this point if they’ll have such grounds.

As for Mr. Zimmerman, he’s in a bit of legal do-do no matter what happens. He had already collected over $170,000 through his web site by the time he attended his bail hearing. And, unlike the Martin family, he has complete control over the donations; he’s already spent several thousand dollars on personal expenses.

Unfortunately, he failed to mention this minor detail DURING that hearing. In fact, I don’t believe that his attorney knew the full extent of Zimmerman’s web site or the money collected.

The point of bail—assuming bondable charges—is to assure that a defendant shows up in court for the trail. Bail’s not a punishment and it must be reasonable. While a judge has no obligation to make it EASILY affordable for defendants, this judge took into consideration Zimmerman’s family’s limited resources by setting it at only $150,000.

The Zimmerman family hocked their home to get the needed funds to meet bail. They fell a bit short. But, when the prosecutor found out that Zimmerman had collected over $200,000 in donations and that he had contributed some of it to make up the shortfall, he motioned to have the bail amount increased.

But Judge Lester has delayed his ruling because he’s not sure that he even has the authority to dictate spending restrictions. But, even if he does not have the authority, the state has the right to motion the court to freeze the money for future payments of fines, etc. And, Judge Lester DOES have the authority to grant THAT motion.

But, just as in the case of the Martin family, I don’t think Zimmerman got into collecting donations to “make” money. He found himself in a financial bind because of his circumstances. I just think the man’s clueless in more ways than one.
    Regards,

Joe Walther
    In Nature, neither rewards nor punishments exist, only consequences.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walther View Post

The point of bail—assuming bondable charges—is to assure that a defendant shows up in court for the trail. Bail’s not a punishment and it must be reasonable. While a judge has no obligation to make it EASILY affordable for defendants, this judge took into consideration Zimmerman’s family’s limited resources by setting it at only $150,000.

The Zimmerman family hocked their home to get the needed funds to meet bail. They fell a bit short. But, when the prosecutor found out that Zimmerman had collected over $200,000 in donations and that he had contributed some of it to make up the shortfall, he motioned to have the bail amount increased.

But, just as in the case of the Martin family, I don’t think Zimmerman got into collecting donations to “make” money. He found himself in a financial bind because of his circumstances. I just think the man’s clueless in more ways than one.
    ​ Doesn't sound like it was too easily affordable for his family. I think higher bail would be in order in this case.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grin View Post
    I agree with the schmuck that made a bad decision part of your post. But, the part wondering how much money Travons parents made is pretty cold Max.
    He has not been found guilty, and we don't know all the facts, so we can't really judge if any decisions he has made are good or bad, at this point most of us can only add an opinion to the case and most of the time these opinions dont help. Thanks Joe for clearing up some of this stuff. The sad part is that we have a child dead and GZ who has been tried in the press guilty even before he gets his trial. I stand by what I have said, and you will never make me believe that the Martins are not pocketing a ton of money because of the death of their son.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
    ​ Doesn't sound like it was too easily affordable for his family. I think higher bail would be in order in this case.
    So by that line of thinking the richer you are the more bail you should pay? thats not fair.

:-)