The family and I were having dinner at the Bear IHOP (Routes 40 & 72) tonight when we heard what we thought was thunder outside, then the lights flickered a few times. Another table saw the same thing, so it wasn't our imaginations, despite no storms outside. This was around 8:30 or 8:45 tonight.
Shortly after that, the manager came over and told us to leave now, there's a transformer on fire beside the building, and smoke everywhere outside. We got up and got the heck out of there. Once outside, I saw two green transformer boxes (on the ground) smoking like crazy, and I saw flames coming out of one of them. [These are large green metal boxes, the one was probably 4 feet square or so. I assume it's some sort of electrical junction box or transformer for the buildings along that part of the road. But I don't know for sure.]
My family went towards the back of the restaurant (away from the smoke) while I went around front and got the car and pulled it over to them. They all piled in and we got outta the area.
Free meals, yes. But I didn't order the fireworks. My kids were shaken up a bit, because they've never experienced anything like that before. But once we got home everyone was fine. Nothing like some fire to add excitement to dinner!