Thread: Teen sentenced in boy's dragging death

Teen sentenced in boy's dragging death

WILMINGTON — At Latika Wright’s sentencing today, the judge handed down a sentence of four years in jail to the now 18-year-old Wilmington woman, who ran over a 9-year-old Wilmington boy on a scooter last year in her aunt’s car, dragged him to his death and then fled the scene.
    Superior Court Judge Charles H. Toliver IV then suspended the woman’s jail sentence to one year from when she was incarcerated last March, followed by six months home confinement and then probation.

That means that Wright stands a good chance of being released from prison by the end of next month but only if a home confinement bracelet is available for her by then.

“My sympathy and condolences will not ease your pain at all,” Toliver told the family of Thomas “Tommy” White Jr., explaining that in handing down the sentence that he was bound by the prescribed law.
    In addition, the Toliver said Wright must:

• Serve six months of a suspended two year sentence of home confinement.

• Pay restitution for failure to report the fatal crash.

• Participate in 200 hours of community service.

• Have no contact with the victim’s family.

• Undergo alcohol abuse and mental health treatments

• Not drive or take any drugs or alcohol for the period of her sentence.

• Obtain her GED certificate.

• Participate in an “enhanced supervision program” overseen by the judge.

Should Wright slip up while under the enhanced supervision, the judge would consider “a reposition of her sentence,” Toliver said.

Tommy White had just gotten an electric scooter from his father Jan. 9, 2010, and was trying it out for the first time when he was struck in the middle of the intersection at 25th and Jessup streets by a maroon Chevrolet Caprice, driven by Wright.

Instead of stopping when she hit the boy, Wright continued driving with the boy trapped under the car’s carriage for 880 feet.

With people screaming for her to stop, Wright finally stopped the car at 23rd and Lamotte streets, took the keys and bailed out of the car.

Wright, of the 900 block of E. 27th St., was charged Feb. 3, 2010 with vehicular homicide, leaving the scene of an accident involving death and assorted traffic offenses.

The following month, she was arrested on a curfew violation and has been jailed ever since.

Re: Teen sentenced in boy's dragging death

Delaware's own bad girl......at such a young age! No value for life, education or the law. Is this the future?

She should be made to carry a picture of what she did to that kid.
    “Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.”

Thomas Mann

My heart still hurts so bad
    mom mom miss you so much
    you did what mom mom asked you to do. I asked my grandson tommy to make latika see him and always remember what she did sentencing her to life .
    So let me tell you about my GOD
    why latika gave birth to a little boy on the same DATE she killed my grandson 1/9/2015?
    She killed my tommy/grandson on
    1/9/2010
    TOMMY YOU WILL ALWAYS ALWAYS BE IN MOM MOMs
    HEART
    STAY ON HER MIND EVERYDAY