Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newark/Bear neighborhood

Re: Newark/Bear neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by Thedwizz View Post
    I would Love Hockessin! Even the houses opposite Kohls. Unfortunately that is a bit out of our price range. The reason i mentioned Elsmere is that is where i'm living now in a new apt. complex off rt.100. We found a really nice neighborhood not too far from here (Vilone Village) with some very nice brick houses that are in our price range.
    Are you concerned about schools, now or in the future? I'd suggest Bellefonte (Brandywine Boulevard: 19809). Cute cottage houses, great schools.... the area is up and coming. I know people there who are very pleased..... and the Bellefonte Cafe is amazing.

http://www.udreview.com/mosaic/belle...ents-1.1372374

Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    Are you concerned about schools, now or in the future? I'd suggest Bellefonte (Brandywine Boulevard: 19809). Cute cottage houses, great schools.... the area is up and coming. I know people there who are very pleased..... and the Bellefonte Cafe is amazing.

" + artTitle.replace("-","") + " - " + "The Review" + " - " + "Mosaic" + "
    Thanks! I just did a quick search through that area and there are some nice places! Will definitely have to go take a look at some.

RUN- dont walk- AWAY from that area !!!
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
    -Ronald Reagan

I know a good realtor...let me know if you want my recommendation.

BillW Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LozerBoozer View Post
    A lot of areas have been listed, both good and bad, which area are you talking about.

PS Love our sig block.

Quote Originally Posted by jtan View Post
    I know a good realtor...let me know if you want my recommendation.
    Thanks for the offer. We are currently working with a realtor, but if that doesn't go well I will definitely take you up on that offer.

Quote Originally Posted by LozerBoozer View Post
    What area? Bellefonte?
    I hope not...it's a nice area. If you are talking about Edgemoor Gardens being too close? Those residents really don't venture that far. I have a relative in Edgemoor Terrace and they have no problems with the area and they live a block from the Gardens. It's improving a lot. I enjoy the shops along the Brandywine Boulevard.... it's a cute area. The school district makes it a huge bonus too.

What area? Bellefonte?
    I hope not...it's a nice area. If you are talking about Edgemoor Gardens being too close? Those residents really don't venture that far. I have a relative in Edgemoor Terrace and they have no problems with the area and they live a block from the Gardens. It's improving a lot. I enjoy the shops along the Brandywine Boulevard.... it's a cute area. The school district makes it a huge bonus too.
    I always steered clear of edgemoor terrace just because of the element living over in the Gardens and the apartments. The reputation given to the name "Edgemoor" does it. I should take a closer look in there.

I really like bellefonte. Much nicer than Claymont where i grew up. I drove through there this morning and found some pretty nice houses in my price range which i'm sure wont last very long.

I always steered clear of edgemoor terrace just because of the element living over in the Gardens and the apartments. The reputation given to the name "Edgemoor" does it. I should take a closer look in there.

I really like bellefonte. Much nicer than Claymont where i grew up. I drove through there this morning and found some pretty nice houses in my price range which i'm sure wont last very long.
    Good luck.

BillW Guest

Quote Originally Posted by truth in price View Post
    Been there, I can;t tell you how many times I've found something that I was completely sold on. Price, Aesthtics, location, etc, only to find out, that it was a complete ghetto, surrounded by trash. Take a ride through there on a Friday or Saturday night, if you really wan't to get a feel for what's happening there. Believe me, you will be forced to narrow your search area and choices considerably, that is, unless you enjoy living around that sort of thing. It's sad.
    Friday or Satuday night, better take a gun with you and be ready to use it. ?

Have you thought about Wilm Manor? There are a few houses for sale and it is a quiet respectable neighboorhood. Prices are decent. Been here 5 years and haven't has a complant yet. House behind me is for sale belonged to an elderly lady that had to go to a nursing home. Well kept but probably needs updating. Price approx $139,000. Some property around - corner. Detached garage. Come take a look corner of New Jersey - where I live not sure of the cross street. They are all named after presidents. Off 13 between Golden Dove and Sunoco.

Hi All,

My fiancée and I are in the process of looking for a house and we've found one that we absolutely love. The only downfall being is that we are not sure about the neighborhood.

The neighborhood is called Westhover/Taylortown. Its off of route 7 and Smalley's Dam road. The neighborhood itself seems quiet but I have heard rumors and seen crime reports about the surrounding apartments complexes (village of canterbury, windover, and Village of Kent). If anyone reading this has any information on the neighborhood (Gershwin circle is the street) It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Duane
    I have lived in area for the last 7 years and have never had an issue. I know Lexington is only less than a mile down the road. But, if you drive around you can tell the good streets from the less attractive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by EpicWin View Post
    I have lived in area for the last 7 years and have never had an issue. I know Lexington is only less than a mile down the road. But, if you drive around you can tell the good streets from the less attractive ones.
    Almost forgot. There are 5 different neighborhoods over Smallys Dam Road. The neighborhood immediately to the right are mostly all rentals and the scourge of the area.

Some could say that about areas in Wilmington off Pennsylvania Avenue.
    Last edited by EpicWin; 04-21-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Spelling

Almost forgot. There are 5 different neighborhoods over Smallys Dam Road. The neighborhood immediately to the right are mostly all rentals and the scourge of the area.

Some could say that about areas in Wilmington off Pennsylvania Avenue.
    ^ You mean Trolley Square?

Lots of rentals in that area for sure but it's still a good area thanks to the high rents.

^ You mean Trolley Square?

Lots of rentals in that area for sure but it's still a good area thanks to the high rents.
    No. Wilmington in general has a higher crime rate.

Wilmington, DE Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Wilmington - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Oh right...just like any big city. The general rule in Wilmington is to keep to the west of I-95. (Further west in the city = less crime).

I live in the city limits of newark (barely) in an older neighbrohood. Love it here-
    we have great neighbors, alot of the homeowners are original owners-meaning they bought the house in the 1940's and 50's and have great pride in home ownership.
    The houses that do end up on the market are being sold to young couples who come in and upgrade the house and property, keeping home values up.
    We also have a very active civic assn and several city and county cops live here, and some DSP officers as well. I have never regretted moving here, it is clean, quiet, and a great place to live. Good luck to you on your search. Send me a PM if you need more info.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
    -Ronald Reagan

Hello! I am looking at Pasternak Place in this section of Newark on the edge of Bear. It is a tiny rancher row home. Is that a good neighborhood? Is there a civic organization? - Emily