Thread: I want a Mello Roll

Thanks

I want a Mello Roll

Any one know where I can get a delicious Mello Roll?

Mello rolls (also sometimes spelled “mello-rolls” or “mell-o-rolls,” perhaps like “jell-o”) were ice cream treats, somewhat like ice cream cones. They were popular in the Bronx and in Brooklyn; many people remember them served at Jones Beach in the 1940s and 1950s.

The mello-roll cone was of the "waffle" variety, and not of the "sugar-cone" variety which was crunchy. The stem of the cone had a flat bottom instead of a point. On the top it had a rectangular opening about 2.5 inches by about 1.25 inches which nested the mellow-roll. The ice cream was a cylinder a bit larger than a flashlight battery, and it had a paper wrapper with a tab that ran along it lenghtwise. There was an art to placing the roll in the cone, and then pulling the paper off as the roll rotated. I remember vanilla, but am not sure if it cam in other flavors.
    CO2 makes the flowers grow

Thanks

Re: I want a Mello Roll

As a kid growing up in NYC in the fifties and sixties, it was the intriguing Mello Roll that I bought at the corner candy store that I remember the best.
    They were these great, fat, creamy cylinders of ice cream (I only had vanilla and it was the best vanilla ice cream I have ever had including ice cream I have made myself), wrapped in paper that needed to be peeled in opposite directions, causing the ice cream roll to plop into a similarly shaped waffle cone. The cylinder-shaped cone prevented melting ice cream to drip along the sides of the cone and onto you. The cone had a flat bottom (so much more practical than a point).
    Mello Rolls were convenient for the candy store owner who knew how many servings of ice cream were available or needed, and they made the customer feel special instead of getting their serving scooped out of a large, impersonal vat.
    Mello rolls served as a basis for some rather rude sayings which inspired the creators of the TV show, Welcome Back, Kotter:
    "Most of the stuff came from my high school," Kaplan said. "The real
    phrase was 'Up your hole with a Mello roll.' A Mello roll was a like
    an ice cream they sold in New York and that was a standard catch
    phrase on the street. If you insulted anybody, you said something like
    that or something about their parents. And that became part of the
    beginnings of the show and then we got away from that. We had to change it of course for television - to 'Up your nose with
    a rubber hose.'"
    CO2 makes the flowers grow